Saturday 2 August 2014

My Latest Addition!

DH and I went to the Caledonia area 30 mile yard sale today. It was a lovely time! Nice drive and great food when we stopped into Mahone Bay for lunch (Kedy House - excellent food!).

HOWEVER!!!!!

Just before Mahone Bay we stopped into a barn of junk for sale and noticed an unusual silhouette  stacked on many other layers of stuff. DH was first to spot it.

My heart did a little flip. It was a treadle machine, but not a shape I knew. It was smaller than expected and (after we hauled off some junk) identified as a Wanzer by the foot pedal. I needed to see it.

The man in charge was cranky and would not allow it to come down for viewing until I agreed to a general range of price. I don't know why, as DH did all the lifting. The more we looked the more we saw. All the important parts and pieces were there - bobbins and shuttle included! DH had it tucked in the car before the cranky man could tuck away the cash!

It's a Wanzer A - one of the early ones I think. That means 1870 to 1880 I think.

 Here is the machine lifted off the treadle. It lifts off and has a hand crank for table top use! The base is marble to give it weight.The top thread would be impossible to thread without very detailed instructions. At one point the thread passes through a guide for the second time, in the opposite direction. The bobbin is even more convoluted! It uses a series of holes for tension. However, if you do anything wrong the machine won't move. Excellent fail safes!

 Here is the first seam. I used paper towel so I could tear my way out of disasters. Saw that one on You Tube. It is a beautiful stitch! The bobbin thread broke, but then again it's probably 100 years old, so I'll forgive and forget.

Here it is in complete form. Don't mind the black tape. It's not as bad as it looks.


The top has been removed. The machine fits into the table to provide a flat top for work.

Here are the attachments. Those are the original instructions and they are readable. 

This is the presser foot. It has a hole for threading wire. I assume cording as well? Other feet slide over this foot to fit onto it.

Here is the bobbin wonder.

Here is the tiniest rolled hem foot I've ever seen. It slides over the presser foot.

And now off to the fireworks to celebrate!


No comments:

Post a Comment