Tuesday 27 October 2015

What Would Grandma Say?

Yesterday we went to a few estate sales. As usual, I find things for me, DH - not so much.  I picked up a very nice Mi'kmaq sewing basket and a cutwork linen tablecloth with only 1 corner completed. The tablecloth was in a box. I took that with me.

When I get home and flip the box over (before trashing it) I behold the best buy ever! Just think, a dress shop named for me with a real sense of style! I think I may have it framed for my makery.



After the trip to the UK my sewing space is now "The Makery". The British  have a whole thing about makers being more than sewers or crafters, but just slightly less than artists. I think. It was a very confusing conversation at the time. New concept, heavy accent - there may have been too much sugar in my coffee as well. But I do like the name 'makery'. It suits.

At the second estate sale I got 2 lots of buttons. Nothing makes me happier than sorting buttons. If you have some to be sorted, please drop them by. You will be pleased with the results. It's my zen.

I also advised some nice ladies not to pay $350 for an older model White serger. I'm sure it was a great serger in its day and still works well. But you know the threading is going to be boggling and a tune up will break $100. Really. $50 would have been fine.

I admire arty quilts. The ones that someone loads onto a huge frame and spends hours and days and weeks getting the 'loft' and the 'thread' and the swoops and swirls just right. They look amazing! I am in awe of the art form they are. But are they quilts?And what about those gorgeous 'picture' quilts where you use your sewing machine and fabric like an artist uses a brush? I could never do that. No artistic talent at all. Again, is that a quilt?

What is a quilt to you? I want mine to be built to last a few tug of wars. I want colour and design that gives your eye lots to look over. I want it to be warm and cozy and supple. Too much stitching and that supple part is gone. I like scrappy quilts. I have never purchased all the fabric for a quilt in one go and without at least a few well aged stash fabrics I'm not sure it could be mine. I like to imagine my quilts many years from now, raggedy, well loved and just a few stains from breakfast in bed.

Some people define real food as a substance your grandparents would recognize and eat. Would grandma recognize the modern quilts of today? All, part or none of what we see today? Just what would grandma say?

No comments:

Post a Comment