Wednesday 16 October 2013

A Purse!

Well, sort of. It's the first wallet from this pattern from Sew Sweetness. I made the last wallet before, but this month I want to do all three. Yah Purse Palooza! (click on the Purse Palooza button on my blog for lots of purse paloozling)) The first wallet was not what I thought it was.

It was much more! I didn't realize it had a zippered pocket on the back of a card holding side. That's so practical! The pattern is meant to be easy, but I found it a bit tricky, mostly because I didn't realize that there was a pocket, and then there seems to be an ambiguous thing with how the packet should end up - at least for me. Now, the instructions were excellent. I just needed another picture that showed that pocket finished. Also when the pocket is inserted between the two outer layers it seems to be free to go right or left. Many men would say 'Make up your mind! You'll be more comfortable.' I'll have to make a decision for next time and sew it down, so it isn't floppy when I unzip the pocket.

Of course those who know me are now emailing with "Did you read the directions?" They know me so well. I did too! Many times! That's how I figured out there was a pocket in the first place.

But don't get me wrong. I love this pattern. It's well designed and practical. I know the last wallet in the trio is excellent, so I'm looking forward to number 2.

One more comment before I leave the pattern. The pattern creates card pockets by cutting a single layer of fabric and turning down the top edge 1/4" and stitching. I prefer to cut the fabric so I can fold it in half, interface to the fold and use it double. No top stitching. It looks neater to me and the edge is straight. However I'm open to new things, so I'm really trying to stick to directions. I'll do that on wallet #2. This one has folded edges.  I'm weak.



Now, about my continuing search for the essential sewing machine features. Tonight I had to wind bobbins. The bobbin winder works on its own, like magic. When you put the bobbin in place a menu pops up. You can select the speed and then press go. It stops on its own. Love the speed control! I like my bobbins wound tenderly, stress free (me and them). Especially important when you are dealing with specialty threads. I also like the start/stop - no having to hold your foot down. I'd say this is a contender for my list of useful (but not critical) features. 

Then I had to topstitch some wallet pocket edges for wallet #2. As you pick your stitch the machine tells you what foot to use and if you need stabilizer. I never remember to change feet, and for the stitches I chose I needed to turn off IDT (dual feed). It makes sense when you see the needle moving in every direction, but without the foot change prompting I would have messed up.  Also I had used a fusible interfacing so I assumed I didn't need stabilizer. I was wrong! So all these little menu reminders are excellent. 

When I started to sew without stabilizer the fabric jerked around on me and the stitch was not spaced properly. I stuck some examining room paper under and that worked perfectly. However I have been told not to use it as it doesn't tear away cleanly. M is correct, and as soon as the right stuff comes into the store I'm getting some. It's cheap and cheerful. In this case the trapped paper bits will be out of sight.

I use decorative stitches for a lot of my topstitching. Try it. Every machine has some sort of wiggly stitches. It just adds a little something when a straight line isn't essential, but a stitched line is needed.



1 comment:

  1. I love the little card holder. I need to try to make one of these!

    ReplyDelete