This quilt had rectangles with little triangles on one end. You do this by marking a square with a diagonal line from corner to corner and sewing along that line at the end of the rectangle. Then you trim off the extra bits and press. Voila!
But you are marking a line along the bias. It pulls and stretches as you mark. You are sewing on the bias. It pulls and stretches as you sew. I used Jelly Rolls. These are rolls of 2 1/2" strips that are pre-cut to make your life easier. They are cut with a pinked edge. The pinking does not seem to be part of the 2 1/2" measurement. Therefore you don't count that as you look for where to draw that diagonal line.
Do you see the potential here for errors?
Then when you join seamed pieces to make blocks it works better of those seams are pressed in opposite directions. Then they can but up against each other and you get a lovely match - with the help of my favourite forked pins, of course. I didn't realize this until about 500 seams too late. This isn't a fatal problem, but again, potential for error. Look here where the little triangles meet. I was fine for the centre match but not for the side matches. Those seams had to go with seams in the same direction and not butting. This, combined with bias issues led to less than ideal situations.
|Here you see that I wasn't always great with my diagonal line drawing and sewing. That top triangle ends below the 1/4" seam, methinks.|
|Now here was a discovery! The Great P introduced me to a better 1/4" foot! My old foot on the right was fine, but my new foot on the left has a little metal edge that lines up fabric much better, and does so before it hits the needle. Love it!|
|These are the bits left over from all those triangles. It's a bag full of cute I should throw out, but probably won't be able to for a bit. Letting go take time.|