Wednesday 1 June 2016

Sound The Trumpets!

If I knew how to put a drum roll here, you'd be hearing it!

I have been working on a lace scarf for over a year, and it's finished.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it's done. About 120 bobbins, lace weight alpaca yarn - and a great pattern that let me really get comfortable with some very useful stitches. For those who don't know bobbin lace it's an obscure needle craft that is usually done with thread the thickness of a spiderweb. It takes at least an hour per square inch and if you make a mistake, fudging takes more time and knowhow than ripping it out and redoing it again - and again. I avoid the spiderweb stuff and like to try thicker, more interesting material.

I love the process. It's like a Sudoku for me. I started when I retired and it was just the thing to shake me up as a learner. I will never be anything other than a beginner, but that's just fine. I don't want to put the time in that would be required to get proficient. A few hours a week keep me happy.

Next I'm going to work on some pieces from a workbook I just bought. I plan to use the pieces in clothing I make. Practice that's practical.

Here is the masterpiece. No, the edge should not be all ripply like that. You are not looking at a good piece of lace. You are looking at a finished piece of lace that I am so proud of! I don't pick at or judge my work. I love it just the way it is, warts and all. So much more enjoyable that way!

Not sure what to do with the fringe.

Hours and hours of long scarf. 

These are some of the bobbins I used.

No comments:

Post a Comment