Thursday 21 June 2012

Shhh, I'm Not Talking

Today was my last day volunteering at school. I enjoyed it. I may even do it again next year. The teachers I worked with are excellent. I knew them previously as colleagues of course. We worked together and are friends. However, working in the classroom really shows me what excellent teachers they are. This year I was working with many children I had taught previously, so I knew them. To see how they developed and improved over the year has been wonderful. To see children taken from where I had them to a whole new level I hadn't even considered is so neat! It so impressed me to see such caring professionals do such excellent work. It almost makes me want to teach again. If retirement weren't such fun and indeed a full time job, I would consider teaching as a career all over again. I loved it. Working with caring, creative and brilliant people is a blast! Yep, that applies to both staff and students. I take great comfort in the fact that I have moved on, and those still in the trenches are so much better and kinder than I ever hoped to be. I am in awe of their brilliance.

DH was up back making a mountain out of a molehill when he was startled by 4 cute bunny babies sitting together under a fern. One of those Walt Disney moments for sure. I rescued a toad from our window well. And that seems to be the extent of the wildlife around here. I think everyone is too busy looking after their babies to visit. Usually we get a baby parade of ducklings on their way to the lake, but we missed it this year. You can't blink or you do. School had ducklings, so I got a good cuddle in there.

I got to see and touch the most beautiful wedding dress the other day! It had been worn by 3 generations of brides all married in the same church. Gorgeous silk with lace. It had been remodelled a bit between brides and you could trace the story of that if you followed seams and such. It was a like unlocking a mystery! Some of the renos had been done with a thread that may have then turned chocolate brown. It was so strange. The latest bride does not remember that brown thread, and there was enough of it to show for sure. The lace had also turned brown, but only matched the deepness of the thread where there was a snippet of lace contained inside the dress in a seam. The silk had gone from white to cream, but that was to be expected. I don't know what was up with the thread.

I love 'fancywork'. I believe I've mentioned this before. I have a huge collection of embroidery, crochet, tatting, lace and on and on. I usually swap my display collection around in the spring, but I haven't gotten around to it. Time to get to it. Nothing makes me happier than washing, ironing and admiring my collection.  I'm such a simple girl.

I forgot to say why I'm not talking!!! My voice is fading again. I lost it completely for a year a ways back, and I'm worried it's going again. Not talking (too much) is my plan currently, but it really seems to have no effect. Hear the pessimism? Shhh.... I'm not talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment