Thursday 4 October 2012

I Just Can't Get Ahead

So I'm at the Home Depot (just the 'Po to us frequent shoppers) with my DH. He's off to look at things that explode and I tell him to meet me in the appliances. We end up meeting in the middle and I flag him over to the upright freezers. There's a cute little 8 cubic foot model I like. Over he comes. He gets the freezer in sight and starts. I'll try to get what he said as accurate as I can. You need the face and the tone to make it perfect. It was a cross between patronizing and delight.

"Ohhhh. That's right. It's fall and a wife's thoughts turn to nesting before the winter. Freezing enormous amounts of things and food and preserving. Huge turkeys and stuff. (He opens the freezer door) Is there a ham in here?"

All I could do was walk away. The freezer could not be discussed after that. Do you laugh, cry or throw things? It may be the nicest thing that man has ever said. He knows me so well!!! That is exactly what I was feeling. The garden is overflowing. I like to be well nested before the snow falls. As for the ham, for those in the know that is a well worn joke. (Look up perfect murder weapon) I do believe I can now say this marriage will last forever. Stick a fork in us. We're done.

Not getting rid of the ham just yet, though. Just in case. And we may go back to look at the freezer.




No comments:

Post a Comment